Monday, September 12, 2011

Dubai Conference

Last weekend, I went to the 24th Dubai Education Conference for HCT (my college). It was held just this side of the city so I didn't have a chance to see any of the gleaming towers or even the coastline and I was inside all day anyways so I'll make another trip to see the wonders of Dubai when the weather cools down a bit.


From my seat in the main auditorium

It was mandatory for all staff so I got to see the 1500 teachers working country-wide for the colleges and the 287 new hires for this year.   As far as conferences go, this one was kind of a bust as both lectures I attended were out-of-date but I did get to meet His Excellency Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, UAE Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research and Chancellor of the Higher Colleges of Technology.  I even got to shake his hand along with the other 287 new hires.

He's the one in the middle
The best part of the day for me was the drive home as my friends Sharon and Serge had driven me and I could sit back and relax.  Then, suddenly we drove into a storm.  Sand obscured everything and blew wildly around the car.
The view on the side of the highway

 
The highway


Then the rains hit with thunder and lightening.  The roads flooded and trees came down everywhere.


no drainage
These updates are a bit slow because I still don't have internet at my apartment.  On the bright side, I do have a sofa and chairs now.

No comments: