Monday, October 24, 2011

The Saga of Etisalat

The Internet Saga

Day 1: apply for high-speed connection with the state-run internet provider, Etisalat.
Day 20: visit internet provider to ask when the connection might be coming.  I am told two days.
Day 25: call provider to ask when the the connection might be coming.  I am told two days.
Day 33: receive a call saying that a team will come to connect my internet.
Day 38: wait four hours for the team.  They say they will come in two days.
Day 39: the team comes but tells me that the connection is not possible due to 'technical problems'
Day 41: provider says technical problem will be solved in two days.
Day 42: problem is not solved.
Day 52: Visit provider.  I'm getting really good at navigating customer service.  I am told to wait one week but they don't know what the problem is.
Day 60: They still don't know what the problem is.
Day 65: While the customer service rep at the counter is looking up things on his computer, I call the customer service number on my cell phone.  The man at the desk says it will be fixed in four days while the man on the phone says it could be three months.  I give up and order a slower service which they tell me is crap.
Day 75: A man calls and asks me to stand on the road so he can find my house.  He is coming to install 'something'.  He throws a cable off the roof of my building and drills a hole into my building wall.  The cable is put through the hole and connected to my computer.  Internet does not work.  Apparently, it will magically begin working the next day.
Day 76:  It works for two hours.  Stops and doesn't start again.
Day 77: I call and the man tells me that I have been disconnected because I didn't pay for my internet for the past two months.  I take a deep breath. 
Today:  The man is coming today to fix the connection problem and I'm worried that there won't be an ending to this saga as they deport people for murdering internet service providers.

2 comments:

christine said...

rolling on the floor with laughter!!! See if you had just paid your bill, none of this would have happened. lol

M said...

How does a country with a gold bullion ATM machine NOT be able to hook up cable!!!! Tell them you'll pay the bill in 2 days.. or 3 days... o0r 3 weeks... or....lol