Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Eid Mubarak (Happy Eid Holiday)

Yesterday was the last day of Ramadan and today is the first day of Eid.  That means that all those people who were fasting all day and being extra devote can now relax, eat and celebrate.  The stores are filled with Eid candy and sweets platters wrapped in ribbons and bows.  Apparently all the kids will get new clothes and, from the amount of parents in the toy department, I would guess toys are also common gifts for Eid.

The most interesting aspect about Eid for me is how it's decided.  The Imams have to see the crescent moon in the sky before they can declare that the holiday is official.  It seems that a few years ago in Iran, the government tried to regulate the holiday by following the lunar calendar and the Imams were upset by the break in a long standing tradition so now, some regions set a government holiday break but the actual declaration of the holiday is dependent on the sighting of the moon.  Luckily for me, this whole week was made a holiday so I have the time to set up my apartment.

One of my biggest challenges has been getting curtains for my 3 meter high windows.  Last week I went to a curtain shop (just a tiny hole in the wall) and picked out the fabric (burgandy).  I had measured the windows but the salesman wasn't confident in my measurements so he drove me home, measured the windows and promised to be back in three or four days to install them.  This is how you buy curtains in the UAE...I got three sets for around $300 and I saved the taxi fare back home :)

I've taken some photos of the surrounding area so I'll put them up in my next post.  I went to Abu Dhabi to visit my friend Karen before she leaves the county but the dust in the air made photos pretty much worthless...I did have a wonderful visit with Karen and she saved my life by giving me a bunch of teaching resources that will last a long time. 

2 comments:

Christine said...

Good thing we don't need to have a clear sky and see a moon around here!!!

Nicole said...

the fasting would never end!