Friday, September 2, 2011

The bus station

I went up to visit my friend Karen in the capital City of Abu Dhabi the other day.  It was my first time dealing with the buses.  The trip was about two hours and cost around $2.50 so that was great.  What was also great was the fact that the buses run every 30 minutes so I won’t have any trouble getting around.

The ride was pretty boring with nothing much to look at except the date clumps hanging in mesh bags as they ripen and fall.  It’s dry scrub or rock most of the way.  I did get a glimpse of the Grand Mosque and it’s stunning from the road…apparently there are tours so I’m definitely putting that on the list.

The interesting part of the trip was when I was leaving Abu Dhabi and had to catch a bus home.  It’s a big station with absolutely no signs, no posted schedules and almost no employees.

After getting in line at a counter to buy a ticket I was told politely that women didn’t have to wait in the big long lines and I could go directly to the counter.  Then, after asking several people where to find my bus I was faced with a huge long line and immediately thought that I would be waiting for the next bus but when the bus did come, all the men were pushed out of the way so us ladies could get on and sit at the front.  I felt badly for those guys left standing but the heat was bad enough that I got over it pretty fast.  It’s funny how we hear all about the disadvantages faced by women in the Middle East but not so much about the perks.

2 comments:

Chistine said...

Very cool. I'm all for equality but somehow we managed to get it so we just have to do all the traditional "womans work" and work outside the house and nobody even opens a door anymore. We went to the front of the line costa rica but it was because we had small kids. Make sure you take advantage :)

Melissa said...

That was the same when we were in Mexico the local men riding the bus would get up and offer there seats to us nice when that happens. Christine is right nobody opens a door anymore....but then i guess that's what happens when we women pick up a wrench and start fixin our own cars....