Friday, September 2, 2011

My neighbourhood

 

I live in a place called ‘Old Sarouj’…across the six lane road is ‘New Sarouj’.  My actual building comes off a dirt road which is kind of annoying as no one can find it for deliveries and it gets really dusty.

alain 036

Luckily, the yard is filled with date palms, lime trees and has a kind of jungle feel to it.  This is the backyard..I’m not sure what they’re doing with the bricks.

alain 035

Al Ain is called the garden city because they had the idea to put in green spaces long before other cities in the country.  I’m not sure ‘garden’ is a great description but there are some tree lined roads and a few parks which I’m going to check out as so as the weather cools down.

alain 044

alain 039

The most distinctive building in the area is the state owned telephone/internet provider, Etisalat.

alain 043 

The other notable buildings are the shopping malls which are big and glittery.  I’m a five minute taxi ride from two of them which is very handy and costs about $2.50.

alain 045

 

alain 047

 

Because it’s so hot here, there are covered parking spaces…I’m guessing that this is cheaper than building underground parking lots.

alain 046

 

Anyone for skating while shopping?

alain 057

I mentioned about the Eid candy in my last post so here is a picture of some typical baskets as well as the Eid moon and stars decorations seen everywhere.

alain 059

alain 058

My next foray is to the industrial shopping area to look for furniture at more affordable prices…we’ll see what happens :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love!! this candy its so beautifully wrapped.